[LAU] off topic (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

Grammostola Rosea rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 09:03:56 EDT 2009

Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> [snip, regarding non-sequencer and non-daw...]
>> There was an irc rumor which says it has been silent around the app for
>> 6 months...
>> I have mailed the author about this... (waiting for reply) I only do
>> this when I think an app is really promising and this one certainly
>> is imho!
>
> I've been following these programs for a while...
Wise man...

> Mr. Liles appeared to be trying to program *both* at the same time.
> More recently, he started giving priority to non-daw development.  His
> latest non-daw commit is Jan '09.  His latest non-sequencer commit is
> Nov '08.
The sequencer works pretty good (key c for new pattern)
The non-daw didn't show up in Jack, so it looks useless right now, BUT
with potential.

> AFAIK, there don't seem to be a lot of people using or developing
> it... and sometimes people's lives get in the way (esp. if they think
> nobody's benefitting).  :-)  Liles has been known to incorperate
> patches from others, and respond to peoples issues.  Code is
> maintained in Git, and he seems to embrace a bazaar-like development
> ethic.
I read he is pretty much open for contributions, yes.

> I doubt if Liles considers these projects dead.

pfieuww,

It's the first midi seq which makes me feel '*I want to make some music*'.
It could be a good replacement for the closed source energyxt and/or
renoise (ok that's a tracker) e.g. apps to put musical ideas quickly in
your pc. Also it seems to be a app that could be useful for things you
do with seq24 and stuff (and maybe live?).

You could make another Ardour or another Rosegarden, he takes a whole
different road and so it actually adds something imo. And the workflow
you can have with it seems to be damn good. Everyone who wants to make a
/'small-jack-one/task/one/tool-app'/ should look at this one first,
because it's easy to work with, user-friendly and fast (the kind of
things you miss sometimes in the Linux audio apps...)
I'm excited about this new approach!

\r