[LAU] phasex-0.12.0-beta4

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Fri Sep 18 02:59:11 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 02:44:24AM -0700, William Weston wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Thank you for all your great feedback on the last two betas!
> phasex-0.12.0-beta4 addresses all of the concerns brought up so far:
>
> Velocity:  Many of you have noticed that velocity and aftertouch
> were completely unsupported.  Now, velocity (with aftertouch) can be
> mapped to directly to oscillators and LFOs (by setting the source),
> used as a modulation source (adjust volume w/ AM or pitch w/ FM), or
> mapped to the filter in the filter-lfo section.
>
> GUI:  Some of you mentioned that the colors were too dark with too
> little contrast, so now there are four GTK theme options:  Dark
> (original purple background), Light (orange background), System (use
> the system GTK theme), and Custom (choose any gtkrc file for your
> theme).  There have also been issues with getting phasex to fit on
> small screens (usually netbooks).  The knob images have been trimmed
> down vertically (just blank pixels), and the padding between widgets
> has been almost completely cut out.  The font can be selected in the
> preferences.  Additionally, a true fullscreen mode has been added.
> It is now possible to fit phasex into an 800x600 desktop.
>
> Atom processors:  Compiler optimization flags for the Intel Atom
> processors have been added to the build system.  Run './configure
> --enable-arch=atom' to build for the Atom.  To force 32- or 64-bit
> builds, use 'atom32' or 'atom64'.

It built quickly and easily with that flag on my EEE.

> The rest is just small tweaks and bugfixes, such as fixing the
> segfault on quit issue, fixing all the compiler warnings, minor
> updates to the build system, new menu items, etc.
>
> As I don't have access to a netbook right now, please let me know
> how it works out with the Atom or other low-power CPU, or on any
> machine with a screen smaller than 1024x768.  Of course, feedback
> from the rest of you is highly welcome, too  ;-}

Many of my old patches break up and create Xruns on my little 1.6Ghz EEE. A few of them work fine though.

The new layout and look-and-feel is much better for a netbook. Everything fits on the screen now, much nicer.

> Visit http://sysex.net/phasex/beta for source tarball, Fedora 11
> RPMS, or Fedora 8 RPMS.

Thanks!

I played around with it for a few minutes, and made this little sketch:

http://www.archive.org/download/KenRestivoArchivePart2/padmix.ogg

Great synth, fun to play with, and really easy to come up with interesting sounds using it.

Thanks again for writing and maintaining it!

-ken