[LAU] which audio synthesis environment?

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 02:22:53 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 12:04 AM, Grammostola Rosea
<rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:
> sh0099 wrote:
>> Grammostola Rosea schrieb:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> How to choose a audio synthesis environment? Why and when Pd,
>>>

>> graphical programming
>>
> *Sounds/style:*
> You can use pd with csound right? Is it also possible with pd and
> supercollider? and with chuck?

Pd + Csound was my preferred setup for a while. I loved it. You could
set up a patch, for instance, to compare the sounds of all of the
Csound filters, for example, and by hitting a button in Pd switch
between them. Another favorite trick was to set up a Pd patch with two
instances of csoundapi~ and crossfade/switch between them in order to
reload the Csound file as I changed it. Live coding for the orchestra.

Pd also has one capability I always wished for in Csound, which is to
treat FFT data as audio, so you can apply arbitrary math, filters,
etc. to it. One could, of course, pass that FFT data to Csound as
audio, as Csound makes sample-specific math easier, then pass it back
and resynthesize it.

These days I've been using Csound with Python, designing GUIs in
TkInter when I want them, but I haven't really replaced the ease of
using Pd.

As for SC and ChucK, if I'm not mistaken, all environments mentioned
support OSC. Sockets?

-Chuckk

--
http://www.badmuthahubbard.com