[LAU] Hardware VST host?

Atte Andre Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 15:39:37 EDT 2009

Michael Bohle wrote:

> We have good instruments like Hexter and so on, enough for music
> production. If it is not enough for you, start to developing other
> virtual instruments. But don't look back to the proprietary shiny VST
> preset wonderland, we don't need this.

I have to disagree.

I would love to join the "we have the better way", but I can't (at least
not 100%). Sure everything from PD to phasex to ghostess to ardour is
great stuff, but the ability to 1) load a project in one go and 2)
integrate as tightly as possible with plugins attract *some* people
(obviously you're not one of them, that's fine).

NB: I did a CD last year and one this year with my electronic project,
both 100% linux. The first one was a done with a intricate web of all
the usual suspects (muse, zyn, ams, pd, ardour, phasex, ghostess,
specimen + some I forgot), the second is done in a $50 native linux
host, and it's been a much more enjoyable experience and I feel the
result is better in every way.

NB2: I'm currently on a quest to get pd/sc/csound working as native vst
plugin. Of course I don't believe in presets fits all. I personally try
to develop all my sounds myself, and would love to plug in to the power
of csound totally integrated into my host.

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk   http://virb.com/atte