[LAU] 64 bit systems

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Sep 28 15:16:52 EDT 2009

On 09/29/2009 01:20 AM, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> I am almost convinced that I want to go Linux audio in my studio. I
> have a x64 3ghz dual core AMD based box that is my dedicated DAW. I am
> now deciding which distro to use that will give me stable performance
> with minimum effort.
>
> 64 Studio would seem like an obvious choice but because I would like
> to have VST's available, I seem to recall that is a possible issue?

Any issues that come up with windows vsts on a 64 bit Linux are gonna
bite no matter which distro you choose. Note that there are native Linux
vsts and a large amount of native Linux plugins these days so you should
be able to find an alternative to your favourite windows vst plugins if
they don't work over wine.

A couple of major benefits from going with 64Studio is that you get
access to paid support and a realtime kernel ootb.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd