[LAU] 64 bit systems

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan.osaudio at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 16:30:52 EDT 2009

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On 09/29/2009 01:20 AM, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>> I am almost convinced that I want to go Linux audio in my studio. I
>> have a x64 3ghz dual core AMD based box that is my dedicated DAW. I am
>> now deciding which distro to use that will give me stable performance
>> with minimum effort.
>>
>> 64 Studio would seem like an obvious choice but because I would like
>> to have VST's available, I seem to recall that is a possible issue?
>>

>   "Note that there are native Linux vsts and a large amount of native
> Linux plugins these days so you should be able to find an alternative
> to your favourite windows vst plugins if they don't work over wine."

My thinking is starting to veer toward the reality that often times, I
"feel" the absolute need to have something (in this case, VST's plugins)
and will spend eon's trying to make it work!! And ultimately, if I am
successful at willing my way into existence with that, the practical
output is questionable!

In my current environment, it is now critical to produce results via
whatever means. That means less time on farting around and more time
rolling tape (er....disk!), as it is now revenue related.

The only VST's that come to mind that I would really like (and not
having had much exposure to more recent LADSPA's or LV2) are the awesome
Ambience reverb and a full midi soft synth I used to use (HyperCanvas),
as I don't have a hardware midi module and soundfonts never seemed to
quite get it to my ear.

thanks for the input.

Russell