[LAU] 64 bit systems

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 18:09:12 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Russell Hanaghan
<hanaghan.osaudio at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am almost convinced that I want to go Linux audio in my studio. I
> have a x64 3ghz dual core AMD based box that is my dedicated DAW. I am
> now deciding which distro to use that will give me stable performance
> with minimum effort.
>
> 64 Studio would seem like an obvious choice but because I would like
> to have VST's available, I seem to recall that is a possible issue?
>
> Beyond that, is there any other advantage(s) to using a x64 OS other
> than RAM access beyond 4gb? Is there any 32 bit OS performance
> degradation when installed on a x64 machine?
>
> Thanks,
> Russell

Russell, Russell, Russell.....

Why choose? Swing both ways baby! Hit for both teams until you find
the team that makes you most comfortable. That's what grub is for.

Disk space is cheap. Run both, test both. It's just a reboot and if
you run into a problem.

Use a single home directory mounted in either install. Possibly keep
copies of Ardour sessions and other important things in case there is
a small compatibility issue.

I've run both for some time. Even on Gentoo it's not a big deal

Ciao baby,
Mark
;-) ;-)