[LAU] 64 bit systems

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan.osaudio at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 13:47:59 EDT 2009

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Russell Hanaghan
> <hanaghan.osaudio at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am almost convinced that I want to go Linux audio in my studio. I
>> have a x64 3ghz dual core AMD based box that is my dedicated DAW. I am
>> now deciding which distro to use that will give me stable performance
>> with minimum effort.
>>
>> 64 Studio would seem like an obvious choice but because I would like
>> to have VST's available, I seem to recall that is a possible issue?
>>
>> Beyond that, is there any other advantage(s) to using a x64 OS other
>> than RAM access beyond 4gb? Is there any 32 bit OS performance
>> degradation when installed on a x64 machine?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Russell
>
> Russell, Russell, Russell.....
>
> Why choose? Swing both ways baby! Hit for both teams until you find
> the team that makes you most comfortable. That's what grub is for.
>
> Disk space is cheap. Run both, test both. It's just a reboot and if
> you run into a problem.
>
> Use a single home directory mounted in either install. Possibly keep
> copies of Ardour sessions and other important things in case there is
> a small compatibility issue.
>
> I've run both for some time. Even on Gentoo it's not a big deal
>
> Ciao baby,
> Mark
> ;-) ;-)

LOL!  Is that the "man" with the big cigar??

Hey Mark,

Good to hear from you again...

After some deliberation, this is the most sensible way for me to roll
for now. And by that, I mean dual boot Vista x64 / 64Studio.

It's time for me to sit and write something completely native to Linux
Audio and stretch my open source legs again. While going pure Linux is a
noble thought, it's really about providing clients with what they want.
If I can find that ability within the current Linux Audio offerings,
then Windows will evaporate from my hard drives! :)

Cheers,
Russell