[LAU] digital voodoo: master fader should be set at 0db

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 14:50:55 EDT 2010

Hi

I'm thinking harder and harder about my mixes and have been reading this
(written for renoise, but should apply to every DAW, so any ardour
users/devs, please speak up!):

http://www.renoise.com/indepth/tutorials/avoid-clipping-in-your-final-mix/

I didn't get why it should be better to have the master fader fixed at
0db. Well a tiny bit better, but still, supposed I have 30+ tracks, each
having (at least) a fader, does it really matter that much to have
another fader in there? I mean the alternative would be to pull *every*
channel fader down by say 1.5db if the track is clipping with 1.5db. In
such case I just reach for the master fader and pull it 1.5db, problem
solved.

I raised my doubts on the renoise forum
(http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?showtopic=24975), and I still
don't get it, really sounds like either voodoo or peanuts to me.

Could all you clever and sensible people with good ears and technical
knowledge please enlighten me :-) Would it really make a difference to
keep the master fader fixed at 0db?

Looking forward to a second opinion on this very baffling issue!

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk