[LAU] Some new music made (mostly) with Linux -- comments on mix?

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon Apr 12 18:18:43 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:07:12PM +0200, Johannes Mario Ringheim wrote:
> Ken Restivo skreiv:
>> We're getting very near release for our first CD, which was mixed,
>> edited and overdubbed on Linux in Ardour, and will probably be
>> mastered on Linux as well. Here are some
>> getting-pretty-close-to-finished mixes:
>>
>> http://lahar.s3.amazonaws.com/scratchmixes-basic/foie-A.ogg
>
> Based on a rough comparison with George Duke's version of "Mothership
> Connection", in my Sennheiser HD-25 II, it sounds like it has at least
> as much bass. However, it does not sound particularly bassy.

Thanks. The problem wasn't really bass so much as it was low-mids. Once I fix the low-mids problem, I can probably pull back on the kick a little bit.

> What I usually do, which is probably not well received in the church of
> audio mixing, but works well nevertheless, is to cut all frequencies in
> the lower part of the bass range, about until the cut is evident on
> non-bassy equipment. That way only the ranges of the bass which you
> want, will be blasted through (and probably colored by) the PA.
>
> Otherwise I find both of the tracks funky!

Thanks! I like your DJ stuff; you sure do have an ear for funk.

Hmm, maybe I'll try to convince the guys to CC at least a few tracks, so that folks can remix them.

-ken