[LAU] Some new music made (mostly) with Linux -- comments on mix?

Johannes Mario Ringheim jri at broadpark.no
Mon Apr 12 16:07:12 EDT 2010

Ken Restivo skreiv:
> We're getting very near release for our first CD, which was mixed,
> edited and overdubbed on Linux in Ardour, and will probably be
> mastered on Linux as well. Here are some
> getting-pretty-close-to-finished mixes:
>
> http://lahar.s3.amazonaws.com/scratchmixes-basic/foie-A.ogg

Based on a rough comparison with George Duke's version of "Mothership
Connection", in my Sennheiser HD-25 II, it sounds like it has at least
as much bass. However, it does not sound particularly bassy.

What I usually do, which is probably not well received in the church of
audio mixing, but works well nevertheless, is to cut all frequencies in
the lower part of the bass range, about until the cut is evident on
non-bassy equipment. That way only the ranges of the bass which you
want, will be blasted through (and probably colored by) the PA.

Otherwise I find both of the tracks funky!

--
Ringheims Auto - Fri musikk for bilstereo!
http://ringheimsauto.org