[LAU] Some new music made (mostly) with Linux -- comments on mix?

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Sun Apr 11 16:22:27 EDT 2010

Hello Ken!
   I just listened to both songs. all in all I can say I like them. Nice the
way the Clav is used in "Ginseng". The things I noted down, but this is mostly
personal preference only.
   The sax in Foie gets too quite after its solo. A bit more volume wouldn't
hurt I think. This way it really sounds faded-out a blittle. Where as less
fading, would just sound like stepping back from the mic.
   I think the ride in both recordings is too quiet. You can hear the hitting
OK, but the swinging of the metal is too low for my taste. I have the feeling,
that the kit is sampled or badly mixed. I guess, I would have used a
compressor set to RMS with a short attack and long (600-800ms) release, to be
able to crank it up a bit ad make it sound a bit more substantial.
   Nothing wrong with the bass here. Maybe even quieter than I expected it to
be. But it sounds really nice and smooth to me, listeneing on my monitors. No
high-end equipment, but very OK.
   Besides that, they're lovely songs. I like my bit of funky every now and
again. :-)
   Kindly yorus
             Julien

--------