[LAU] CDRDAO speed, CRC errors, blah

Scott lau at troutpocket.org
Sat Apr 24 03:29:02 UTC 2010

On 04/23/2010 07:03 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> You'll have to try it. Since write speed is a marketing
> point the official value can't be trusted. Half that
> speed is probably reliable. For the rest, AFAIK, it's
> a matter of your system being able to provide the data
> in time. There's some buffering the drive, but that
> can only handle so much delay.

I recall a study where they spun disks at speeds faster than 52x.  The
result was that they disintegrated.  It's probable that they set 52x as
the max due to the structural integrity of the disks, not due to other
limitations while writing.

Google is not being friendly so I can't find it, but it was on slashdot
ages ago.

-Scott