[LAU] CDRDAO speed, CRC errors, blah

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sat Apr 24 03:51:42 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 04:03:03AM +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 06:27:17PM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:
>
> > But that raises the other question: does it even make sense to burn an audio CD at < maximum anyway? Are there errors introduced by burning RedBook CD's at higher speeds?
>
> You'll have to try it. Since write speed is a marketing
> point the official value can't be trusted. Half that
> speed is probably reliable. For the rest, AFAIK, it's
> a matter of your system being able to provide the data
> in time. There's some buffering the drive, but that
> can only handle so much delay.

I didn't phrase my question properly.

I don't mean issues of buffering or keeping up with data; at maximum speed the buffer is 100% full the whole time.

What I meant was the sounds-like-voodoo stuff that the guy on that mailing list link was talking about: the drive being MODE2 and not having error correction and thus there being analog writing errors introduced by the laser when spinning the disc at maximum speed, and the pits being more reliable and having fewer errors when written at slower speed.

-ken