[LAU] Sound Fonts and Music Hardware

Andrew C countfuzzball at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 11:16:19 UTC 2010

Hello Ng,

If I'm not mistaken, Most keyboards with internal sounds take their sounds
from a ROM chip, with only a few megabytes of storage space in them for
samples (admittedly the 'Big 3' workstations have got anywhere from 300MB to
1GB of sample ROM onboard these days last time I checked). Additionally,
they're not in Soundfont format either, but rather a proprietary format that
can only be read by the keyboard's embedded OS. If you really needed those
sounds on your computer, I guess you could sample/loop them yourself, but
that'd probably be quite time consuming! On the other hand, you 'could' just
plug in a midi cable into the keyboard and just sequence like that!

Tl;Dr: No. :-)

Andrew.