[LAU] does ESI esp1010e work with Linux? What soundchip?

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Mon Aug 9 09:01:57 UTC 2010

Niels Mayer wrote:
> http://www.esi-audio.com/products/esp1010e/
>
> This looks suspiciously like an ice1712 and not ice1724 (like on the
> ESI  juli@/maya) given that it tops out at 96K in a time when HD
> fashion demands 192K... Also the two midi ports, and 8 I/O's and
> SPDIF, just like ice1712 (?):
> http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/audio/controllers/envy24/
>
> But on a PCIe bus?

In theory, it would be possible to put a PCIe/PCI bridge chip on the
card, like with the Xonar DX/D2X/STX.

However, the driver's .inf file says that the PCI vendor ID of the
controller chip is not 1412 (IC Ensemble) or 1106 (Via) but 19FE, which,
according to <http://www.pcisig.com/membership/vid_search/>, does not
exist.

However, Google reveals that the chip is a Tenor TE7000L, made by
Galaxy Far East Corp., who should be well-known to anybody serious
about pro-audio.  ;-)  <http://www.gfec.com.tw/ics.php>

(The ESP1010e proves that this chip actually exists; I wouldn't have
deduced this from the pictures of their PCI audio chips, which are
actually pictures of the TE7029L with different chip numbers
photoshopped in.)

To answer your question:  That web site says "PCI driver ready – Linux,
Windows".  I'm not sure what "ready" is supposed to mean, but it
certainly doesn't mean "can be simply downloaded".  Try asking GFEC and
ESI.

Regards,
Clemens