[LAU] Midi port assignment

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Thu Aug 12 16:36:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:31 PM, Clemens Ladisch <clemens at ladisch.de> wrote:
> Bob van der Poel wrote:
>> I've just installed a new motherboard in my computer and am having
>> some problems with the ALSA port numbering. The computer has audio on
>> board, plus a Ensoniq pci card used only for midi (via a gameport). It
>> seems that sometimes, after booting, the card is assigned port 16:0,
>> sometimes 20:0. Very annoying!
>>
>> Is there a way to force a consistent port value?
>
> The sound card configuration utility of your distribution should allow
> you to set the cards' order.
>
> Alternatively, you can configure the card order yourself by setting
> module options, in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf or wherever your
> distribution puts them:
>
>  options snd slots=snd-hda-intel,snd-ens1731
>
> (or whatever the driver name of your onboard device is)

Thanks Clemens

I have added the line just as you suggested and it seems to be fine
now. BTW, the card is no longer port 16 or 20. It's 24 now.

I added the options line at the bottom of the file. Would that make a
difference as to the port numbers. Doesn't matter, I'm happy with 24
so long as it doesn't change ... there are a lot of settings in the
file.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.4 ... and I have no idea what the sound
configuration utility is. Matter of fact, I tried to get something via
synaptic ... ended up with asoundconf-gtk but that won't run without
asoundconf. Problem with that is that there no longer appears to be an
asoundconf program. Has it changed it's name???

Best,

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca