[LAU] boxyseq: Re: opinions from (potential) user perspectives wanted

James Morris james at jwm-art.net
Sun Aug 15 01:21:38 UTC 2010

On 5 July 2010 09:27, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
> On 07/05/2010 06:15 PM, James Morris wrote:
>>
>> really it is far too early for users to take any interest in this
>> program. but sometimes I just need some feedback about some of the
>> ideas i have before I can proceed further in its development.
>>

> I think LAU/LAD are good for that until a project gets a large enough user
> base to warrant it's own list.

Ok, after some considerable time it's now in the first steps of having
consequences of user interactions...

Meaning, you can drag a blue square around and the events in the
pattern are sequenced into it (when you release the mouse button that
is). As you should by now know, the position of the events is
translated into pitch and velocity.

It's enough to play around with for a few minutes :)

I recommend Will J Godfrey's 'Sweep Saw' Zyn/Yoshi patch.

Try it out:
git clone git://github.com/jwm-art-net/BoxySeq.git && cd BoxySeq &&
make && ./boxyseq

Just don't expect too much. You cannot edit the pattern unless you're
willing to experiment with C code (lines 63 to 84 of main.c for event
pattern, lines 87 to 105 for boundary settings) and recompile and
restart the program.

you'll need jack, glib, and gtk development packages installed beforehand.

still very early days here.

Cheers,
James.