[LAU] boxyseq: Re: opinions from (potential) user perspectives wanted

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Mon Aug 16 23:54:07 UTC 2010

Excerpts from James Morris's message of 2010-08-15 03:21:38 +0200:
> On 5 July 2010 09:27, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
> > On 07/05/2010 06:15 PM, James Morris wrote:
> >>
> >> really it is far too early for users to take any interest in this
> >> program. but sometimes I just need some feedback about some of the
> >> ideas i have before I can proceed further in its development.
> >>

> > I think LAU/LAD are good for that until a project gets a large enough user
> > base to warrant it's own list.
> >

> Ok, after some considerable time it's now in the first steps of having
> consequences of user interactions...
>
> Meaning, you can drag a blue square around and the events in the
> pattern are sequenced into it (when you release the mouse button that
> is). As you should by now know, the position of the events is
> translated into pitch and velocity.
>
> It's enough to play around with for a few minutes :)
>
> I recommend Will J Godfrey's 'Sweep Saw' Zyn/Yoshi patch.
>
> Try it out:
> git clone git://github.com/jwm-art-net/BoxySeq.git && cd BoxySeq &&
> make && ./boxyseq
>

> Just don't expect too much. You cannot edit the pattern unless you're
> willing to experiment with C code (lines 63 to 84 of main.c for event
> pattern, lines 87 to 105 for boundary settings) and recompile and
> restart the program.
>
> you'll need jack, glib, and gtk development packages installed beforehand.
>
> still very early days here.
>
> Cheers,
> James.

Hey James.
I'm just giving it a try, and it's fun. I found a feature you didn't
tell us about, rightclick+drag to resize/reshape the box.
I gave three different zynaddsubfx/yoshimi patches a try, and it's fun
with all of them. I can imagine that it's already useful, at least for
adding random bleeps or whatever to pieces.

Nice work so far.
Regards,
--
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu
und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan