[LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Mon Aug 30 11:32:10 UTC 2010

Hello Patrick!
   I still think you see it a little too harsh. Isn't it evident what happens
in most pop music? Still, if done well, it's an art. I tried to do it and I
only ever came up with one tune, that might probably fullfill the constraints
of a "typical" pop song. I don't see too much subconscious and obscure in a
pop song. Certainly, with a good pop song, you can listen to it loads of times
and discover something hidden in the musical works and effectary. :-) But I
feel a lot of it is based upon simple assumptions and playing quite straight
at certain points.
   I don't listen to the current pop music too much, because it isn't quite my
style, most of the time. But what I hear, doesn't sound too aggressive or
sexualy overloaded. No more sexual than in the 50s/60s or in the midieval
times and no more aggressive than in the late 60s, 70s and early 90s.
Certainly techniques have changed. But it's not only industrially intended
music that does that, it's also completely free music, that takes it up.
Certainly more of the aggressivenes in the music beyond the mainstream. Yet
also the sexual (over)load can be found. Portraied differently, bus still
present.
   Best wishes
            Julien

--------