[LAU] usb audio interface question

Giuseppe Zompatori siliconjoe at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:41:31 UTC 2010

> 2010/12/9 Atte André Jensen <atte at email.dk>:
> On 2010-12-09 14:04, Giuseppe Zompatori wrote:
>
>> I have a Cakewalk UA-1G and it's working fine, no midi though (got a
>> cheap 8€ chinese usb adapter for that).
>>
>> It's way cheaper than the UA25EX.
>
> I looked at at it but it seems it doesn't have phantom power, right? How
> about zero-latency monitoring, is that available, with adjustable mix and
> option to have recorded signal monitored as mono (so appearing in both left
> and right channel)?

Hi Atte,

No it doesn't have phantom power. It has zero latency monitoring (I
use it on a daily basis) and it can be enabled/disabled on the back
via the dip-switches panel. Now having said that it's a bit of pain to
enable/disable it since you need something pointy to reach the tiny
dip-switch. Not sure about the mono to dual mono thing I'd have to
check later, but couldn't something like this simply be accomplished
by connecting a single input to the 2 left and right outputs via
jackd?
Also another thing to take notice about this USB device is that it is
only configurable via the on-board hardware(it's an advantage for me),
i.e. sampling rate (needs a device dis/re/connection), monitoring,
digital vs analog inputs, input/output levels.
It won't do 96KHz for both playback and recording and again you'll
have to use the dip-switches on the back to select the 96KHz mode. Up
to 48KHz there is no such limitation, full duplex audio operation.
I hope that sums it up.

Cheers,

-Giuseppe