[LAU] Music made with linux: Banksters - Dubby Dubstep

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Dec 10 04:20:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, December 8, 2010 7:09 am, Q wrote:
> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just uploaded this new track. It's kind of a dub/dubstep blend. With a
>> bit
>> of tech and some skanking riddims in the mix.
>>
>> http://djcj.org/audio/kotau/banksters/Banksters-DJ_Kotau_Session_2010-12-06.flac
>> http://djcj.org/audio/kotau/banksters/Banksters-DJ_Kotau_Session_2010-12-06.ogg
>>
>> It's not "perfect" but I'm not sure how much more time I can spend on it
>> so thought it would be good to get it out now while it is fresh.
>>
>> The ogg was normalised by ardour3 (default settings). I think the
>> overall
>> levels on both versions are a bit quiet in general.
>>
>> Recorded with hydrogen (default 303 kit), ams (basslines/fx) and
>> ardour3.
>> Uses the Calf Vintage delay for the delay lines.
>>
>> This one is not as experimental as some of my other work so maybe a bit
>> more accessible.
>>

>> Cheers.
>>

> Hi Patrick
>
> I don't know why, but I listened to your piece. Assuming it is
> representative to some degree of those genres and electronic music in
> general, it only confirmed what I already know, that I don't like these
> genres and can find nothing to appreciate in them.
>
> The piece was too repetitive and simplistic to hold my attention and
> interest. I also found what I perceived to be the intended message of
> the words, to be a cliched gross oversimplification that has become very
> tiresome and grating in the last few years, but that subject is way, way
> OT for this list. But that's not really important as the focus doesn't
> seem to be on the vocals anyway.
>
> The mix sounded okay to me, but as already mentioned, I'm really not at
> all qualified to offer any meaningful comment on it as it is far removed
> from what I usually listen to. However, it was a little more accessible
> than previous work of yours that I've heard. It is rather quiet, as you
> suggest, with very little energy and punch.
>
> I suppose this is the problem -- Linux is fairly niche in music-making
> circles and then genres of music can be pretty small niches as well, so
> the audience is even smaller still.
>
> I'm a regular on the KVR Audio forums (www.kvraudio.com) and whilst
> there's all sorts of music people put up there, there does seem to be a
> very strong following for all sorts of electronic music. Perhaps you'd
> find more of an audience and constructive criticism there (for the music
> at least, sadly certainly much less so for the Linux aspects).
>
> Thanks for sharing and sorry for not being able to offer any
> constructive criticism.

Not at all. Thanks for taking the time to listen and provide feedback.

Thanks for confirmation on the levels. I will spend some more time on that
aspect before I make a final export.

Two people have told me that the track drags on a bit so I will look at
making a condensed version. However the point of the track is partly an
attempt at making people feel uncomfortable about the topic and partly an
attempt at representing the exponential growth of debt caused by Banksters
in the audio medium. So, for that purpose it kind of has to drag on a
little to make the point.

It also kind of a jab at American corporate manufactured entertainment. I
find it drags on in general and is highly repetitive so I am trying to get
that across in the artwork. Of course that is a fairly abstract message to
relay without any context. Probably a video would help to highlight that
aspect of the track.

> And an off-topic aside: keep up the good work with your annual round-up
> of Linux-made music. I did release something earlier in the year but it
> was only a very short bit of a work-in-progress so isn't really worth
> bothering about.

No problem. I have been known to use snippets as layers/mashups in past
mixes so if you want to pass me a link then I might do another one this
year...

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.