[LAU] bristol synths hang

Renato rennabh at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 21:28:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 21:43:24 +0100
Nick Copeland <nickycopeland at hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > particular note "hangs" on the synth, and sending note off events
> > > doesn't stop it... I have to restart the program, which makes it
> > > unusable since it happens quite often. Untill now this happenede
> > > with b3, minimoog and dx7.
>
> > I have the same problem here, playing with an usb keyboard.
> > Sometimes you probably have "clicks" (digital saturation) too.
>
> Bristol has had these issues although they were supposed to have been
> iron out in the later releases. The cause of the clicks was largely
> due to voice reassignment with mono synths fixed by implementing a
> different note assignment method (note preference with droning) and
> the sticky notes were due to scheduling issues between threads fixed
> with a jack ringbuffer message passing method.
>
> Now a lot of the distributions are still packaging bristol-0.40 which
> is a couple of years out of date. If you have newer versions then I
> can work on some debuging with you, if you don't have 0.60 then it
> would make sense to try that first.
>
> I cannot rule out other issues but lets start with the versions you
> have and take it from there.
>
> Kind regards, nick.

You're right, I didn't mention system info. I have version 0.60.7
running on Archlinux, standard kernel. Jack is running on laptop
built-in audio card with:
/usr/bin/jackd -r -t2000 -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p2048 -n2 -Xseq

I found the hanged note stops if I change the midi channel in bristol.
Not sure if the note is still there playing when I change back to the
original channel, I'll try it next time it hangs.

regards,
renato