[LAU] Building gigasamples

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 17:42:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Julien Claassen <julien at c-lab.de> wrote:
> Hello Mark1
>  I think the task I'm asking for is even easier. Consider this link:
> http://www.sampletekk.com/eprod/How%20To%20Make%20WG%20GS3%20File.pdf
>  What they do, is sell samples in a multi-format distribution. ou get the
> amples, trimmed and grommed for direct use, together with an .nki file and
> maybe ex24 or whatever else. You also get a gigfile, with all the right
> configurations, but if you want to use the gigfile, you have to open it in
> gigastudio - or if less than 2GB you can do it in gigedit already - and
> import the wav-files. the directories and gig-files are setup so, that you
> just click on the folder and say "import" or "build" or whatever they call
> it and then the samples get copied into the gig-file. All envelopes,
> keyswithcing, filters, offsets and groups and what else there is, is already
> made up. They just do it, to save space on the server, I suppose.
>  So I'm not asking for magic, just for a kind of mini-program, which
> automates something like: open gig-file, mark folder, press button and do
> the work. The functions should be there in the gigedit code. Just this time,
> I want it to work without the GUI, since I can't touch it. And it is a bit
> tiresome to ask a friend. Because that usually means, putting the files on
> the net, the other party downloading, building the gig and then uploading
> again, so I can download it. - In some cases this is inevitable, where the
> gigs will be larger than 2GB, but anything else, is certainly a task I would
> like to perform. :-)
>  Kindly yours
>          Julien

Julien,
   If the SampleTek libraries are really done that well then you'd
possibly be pretty close to usable. They make it look _reasonably_
easy in your link. I wonder if it really is?

   What are you assuming about GigEdit? The Linux version isn't
GigEdit from Tascam, it's a Linux program. Is your assumption that it
provides 100% compatibility with the GigEdit that they are showing? It
might or might not.

   Are you possibly assuming that you load the real GigEdit under Wine
or something?

   Just curious, and not negative on the idea, but as a GigaStudio 3
owner I'll simply report that this has always been the hardest part of
using that suite.

- Mark