[LAU] Which SATA drive? Size? [Was: Re: partition table]

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Dec 23 06:42:57 UTC 2010

Ivan K wrote:
> I was surprised to hear that so  many people write their audio
> files to a second drive.  I always thought that most audio
> people preferred as few drives as possible in a system to keep
> noise down.
>
> On a somewhat related topic, is there a brand of SATA drive
> that people recommend as far as reliability, speed, and low noise?
> Also, even though Terabyte drives are inexpensive these days,
> would a 500 GB drive be better as far as speed (reading/writing)
> than a 1 TB drive?  (I really would not need a full TB anyways).

I saw a 1TB drive for sale at NewEgg for $59. Does it matter if you
don't need a full TB???

Don't know about noise. There are "green" drive models that have a
"reduced noise" setting, but I think it usually entails reducing the
drive speed, I think.

I don't think drive size has any impact on speed. Newer drives tend to
be faster than the previous models, I think. Also, the larger drives may
come with larger on-board caches.

Largest drive I have here is 1TB (split into 2 500GB paritions), the
only time I notice the size is when the system decides its time to fsck
the drive. ;-)

Brands? I like Hitachi and Western Digital. Toshiba for notebook drives.
I've also had good results from IBM and Seagate. I've only had 2 drives
fail on me. Both very old Seagates. The oldest failed after being used
for about 10 years. The newer one died during its first year, was
replaced under warranty, then died again about 18 months later.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community