[LAU] Which SATA drive? Size? [Was: Re: partition table]

Florian Faber faber at faberman.de
Thu Dec 23 07:09:02 UTC 2010

On 12/23/10 07:42, david wrote:
> Ivan K wrote:
>> On a somewhat related topic, is there a brand of SATA drive
>> that people recommend as far as reliability, speed, and low noise?
>> Also, even though Terabyte drives are inexpensive these days,
>> would a 500 GB drive be better as far as speed (reading/writing)
>> than a 1 TB drive?  (I really would not need a full TB anyways).

If you are concerned about heat & noise, consider a 2.5" drive.

> I don't think drive size has any impact on speed. Newer drives tend to
> be faster than the previous models, I think. Also, the larger drives may
> come with larger on-board caches.

The higher the density, the higher the number of bits read per time. So
drive size (~density because you can only use a certain number of
platters) has a direct corelation with throughput.

Flo
--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key DA43FEF4          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net