[LAU] Which SATA drive? Size? [Was: Re: partition table]

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Dec 23 18:21:58 UTC 2010

On Thursday 23 December 2010 18:09:20 Ivan K wrote:
> --- On Thu, 12/23/10, Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:
> > The difference in price between 500G
> > and 1.5TB is less
> > then the difference in size.
>
> I was not writing about cost in terms of money.  Everyone
> knows that 1-2TB drives are cheaper than candy these days.
>
> I was writing about cost in terms of reading/writing.
> I would be willing to pay more for a 500GB drive if
> there is a performance benefit.

Why should there be a performance benefit if the disk is smaller? If there was,
I still have a 650MB disk I could sell you...

You want the disk for storage, not for RAM-extension. And doing audio you will
read and write big files. Unless the disk-cache is big enough to hold the whole
session, it will not make a significant impact.

What matters is reliability. And when you ask 10 people about that, you will
get 10 different opinions.
As you ask for that, here is my experience:
I had seagate disks fail, I have seagate disks running fine since 5 years. I
have western digital disks work fine since years. I had an IBM disk fail after
about two years. I have maxtor disks perform good since 5 years. My hardware
dealer recommended me samsung disks, but the first two I bought failed after
about two years. Lets see how the rest of them (bought later) performs...

Have fun,

Arnold