[LAU] (double) bass samples for Linuxsampler

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Fri Dec 31 01:29:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 21:31 +0000, Andrew C wrote:
> Also, I had this discussion about SF2 and SFZ on the linuxsampler
> mailing list a while back. Long and short of it is that SF2 is an
> older, monolithic file format with limited modulation capabilities
> designed by EMU/Creative whereas SFZ is quite a recently (and open
> format, like SF2) developed format that seperates the .wav
> multisamples from the programming bits and is designed by
> Roland/Cakewalk (but bears no relation to the Soundfont format).

SFZ is really going to be the future of LinuxSampler, I think, simply
because of its non-monolithic design. Commercial samplers like EXS24 and
Kontakt use much the same design, with a bunch of WAV files and a small
mapping file, so all that's needed to make a Kontakt library playable in
LinuxSampler is for someone to make a matching SFZ mapping. I can't see
any reason why such a mapping wouldn't be freely distributable, so as a
community we could build up a collection of downloadable SFZ mappings
for popular commercial libraries.

You can already find SFZ mappings for some libraries, eg:

http://www.drealm.info/sfz/

Of course, building such mappings isn't an easy job, but if it can be
done once and distributed widely, it greatly eases the burden.

Thanks
Leigh