[LAU] Solved ? CENSORING public archives

Marc-Olivier Barre marco at marcochapeau.org
Tue Feb 2 16:24:27 EST 2010

Hello again,

Offending text has been removed at the request of the OP. I have been
forbidden by some people I am probably not allowed to mention to explicitly
state in the post that this removal was a "kind request" from
the-company-who-shall-not-be-named.

End result here:
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2007-January/041741.html
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2007-January/041768.html

Now to explain what just happened there, my choices regarding this matter
boiled down to 3 possibilities, all implying dreadful pain in various
private areas of my anatomy:

- Either I did nothing, and Muse got sued (if the NDA actually exists
since I have no proof of that) and linuxaudio.org might have got into
trouble too. No one wants that do we ? And at the end of the day, I would
have gotten the blame for it;
- Either I did remove this post under the hood like some of you suggested,
but then what kind of a trustworthy admin would I be ? What else would I
allow myself to do under the hood with my shiny shell access to the
linuxaudio.org server ? And at the end of the day, I would eventually have
gotten the blame for it;
- Either I removed some content from the list and made this decision
public, knowing very well in advance what kind of flames I would get in my
face. And at the end of the day, I did get my fair share of blame for it.

I am sorry if I hurt the feelings of Michael Ost. It has never been my
intention and I'm not blaming him for making a (rather insignificant IMHO)
mistake. Everyone does mistakes. His post contained nothing but the name of
a company and some rather blurry details of a hack to get a poor quality
protection device working on Linux.

As interesting as those past years administering these list were, I
certainly don't think it is an easy matter. With every kind of incidents we
had in the past few years (there were others of different nature but no
less disturbing) I have always dealt the same way. Make a big fat dirty
post and say everything all aloud. Each time I got flamed by some people
who seem to think this is easy. Each time I also received some support from
others maybe more aware of what a system administrators role is. But each
time there were no secrets.

In the end, I am happy to be doing this job for the community, and I'd
really like to keep doing that for some time. As always, if some of you
guys want to kick me out go ahead. The list still belongs to the members.
At least I hope it still does. But if you want to kick me out, you'll have
to take my place. Are you prepared to be in my shoes ?

Kind regards,
--
Marc-Olivier Barre
XMPP ID : marco at marcochapeau.org