[LAU] modlys on bandcamp

Leigh Dyer lsd at linuxgamers.net
Thu Feb 4 21:02:07 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 01:32 +0100, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> When I announce tunes here, I always combine it with a direct link,
> since I know (or guess) many people here prefer that, although as far as
> I can see, the player is not flash.

Though it's not visible in the user interface, pretty much the whole
site relies on Flash -- the streaming player is a hidden Flash object
that's controlled by the HTML user interface, and even uploads and
downloads use Flash.

Personally, I don't have a major problem with that :) I have my own
Bandcamp site too -- http://pneuman.bandcamp.com/ -- and I see the Flash
bits as a bit of a necessary evil. I've done some work with HTML5 audio
streaming, and while it does work, different browsers require different
formats, and you still need a Flash fallback for IE. It's also quite
hard to get all of the stats that Bandcamp gives you about how _much_ of
a file people have listened to.

Like you though, Atte, I also throw my songs on my own site and have
direct URLs that people can use to download them, so that even those
without Flash can still get them.

Thanks
Leigh