[LAU] linuxsampler plugin ?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Sat Feb 6 17:58:08 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 10:23:24PM +0000, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

> in pure plugin sense, ardour is the host and it will care for all midi
> and audio handling, internally. thus, you won't see any jack client nor
> ports associated to the linuxsampler as a plugin, be that through
> qjackctl or any other jack-aware patchbay application, afaics.

I don't know how the LS 'plugin' integrates in Ardour3,
but things don't have to be as you describe.

Even if something is loaded from an .so and thus
runs in the host's process, that does not imply
that it has to use the host's audio infrastucture,
or anything else provided by the host.

As an example, I have a collection of Jack apps
(Ambdec, Jconvolver, Jkmeter, and some others that
I've not (yet) released as standalone apps) that
are implemented as Python classes. You can use
them in Python scripts, or interactively as I
often do. Like all C/C++ extensions for Python
they are just an .so that gets loaded by an
'import' statement, and then you create as many
instances as you need.

So technically these are plugins. But each of them
is a separte Jack client, there is no common audio
infrastructure apart from Jack. Those that do have
a GUI are also a separate X11 client each.

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?