[LAU] Moving Audacity project to Ardour

Leigh Dyer lsd at linuxgamers.net
Mon Feb 22 22:05:54 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 20:17 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Leigh Dyer <lsd at linuxgamers.net> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > A friend of mine has recorded a multi-track project in Audacity under
> > Windows, and I'd like to take it, bring it in to Ardour, and polish it
> > up, both to help him out, and to convince him of the merits of switching
> > to Linux and Ardour himself.
> >
> > Has anyone done this before? A quick google doesn't turn up any
> > automated tools, but if anyone has done it manually and has some
> > workflow tips they could share, that'd be great.
>
> there are no automated tools. just get the audio files, start ardour,
> create new session, drag-n-drop the files into ardour, edit. done. :)

Cheers Paul -- in the end I used Audacity's "Export Multiple" option to
get each track as a separate file, and then dragged-and-dropped those in
to Ardour as you suggested. A bunch of the "tracks" in Audacity were
really just regions within one actual instrument track, so being able to
drag in clips either as new tracks, or as regions on existing tracks,
saved me a tonne of time.

Thanks
Leigh