[LAU] Hydrogen 0.9.5-beta1 (discussion)

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 06:27:09 EST 2010

Sebastian Moors wrote:
> Am 01.01.10 12:00, schrieb rosea grammostola:
>>
>> But can I make an note here?
>>
>> I saw you're busy making an piano-roll editor for hydrogen. I really
>> doubt whether that is the right direction for Hydrogen. Especially with
>> in mind that there are already good midi sequencers on Linux or they are
>> planned e.g. openoctavemidi, qtractor, ardour3 etc. Also the Hydrogen
>> team was lacking time and developers for a long time afaik, so why make
>> it yourself difficult now?
>>
> We had a discussion about the direction of hydrogen recently on our
> mailing list and decided
> that hydrogen should stay a something like a "drum machine" and is not
> going to be a live composing app
> ( Gabriel's  "composite" is going in that direction).
> But beside that, often developers develop features which are useful
> for them :)
>
> You should also take into account that the piano roll editor is not
> meant as a replacement for a full midi sequencer, it is more like a
> extension to the existing sequencer.
>
>> I played yesterday with non-sequencer and hydrogen. I really don't need
>> another midi sequencer, also not for live cause non-seq is good capable
>> of doing that... What I do need is an drummachine with a quality as good
>> as possible. Why not concentrate on that (not easy) task? More functions
>> makes also the GUI more complex imo and simplicity in use was one of the
>> powers of Hydrogen.
>>
>>    Why not stick with the one-task-one-tool principle?  It's not by
>> accident that the openoctave team has stripped Rosegarden... I think
>> with the progress of Ladish there is a great potential for this
>> principle again.
>>
> The one-task-one-tool principle was *never* really used by hydrogen,
> so we can't stick with it :)
> Hydrogen has always been a tool which included things like a
> sequencers and combined them and was not only one thing.
> A lot of people like it this way, not at least because on other
> platforms ( hydrogen is used a lot on windows and osx )  people are
> not used to the modular way linux offers.
>
> But after all, we discuss a lot about which feature we really need and
> what not, so every comment is really welcome!
> Thanks,
> Sebastian

Hi,

I jumped to the mailinglist when I was playing with non-sequencer and
hydrogen and thought, why another sequencer, I need an drummachine! It
looks to me that you're looking critical which feature to add and which
not. I'm happy with that and I'm hoping Hydrogen will be my drummachine
of choice for some time. Good luck with the project.

\r