[LAU] Hydrogen 0.9.5-beta1 (discussion)

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Sat Jan 2 06:45:35 EST 2010

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 12:27:09 +0100
rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sebastian Moors wrote:
> > Am 01.01.10 12:00, schrieb rosea grammostola:
> >>
> >> But can I make an note here?
> >>
> >> I saw you're busy making an piano-roll editor for hydrogen. I really
> >> doubt whether that is the right direction for Hydrogen. Especially with
> >> in mind that there are already good midi sequencers on Linux or they are
> >> planned e.g. openoctavemidi, qtractor, ardour3 etc. Also the Hydrogen
> >> team was lacking time and developers for a long time afaik, so why make
> >> it yourself difficult now?
> >>
> > We had a discussion about the direction of hydrogen recently on our
> > mailing list and decided
> > that hydrogen should stay a something like a "drum machine" and is not
> > going to be a live composing app
> > ( Gabriel's  "composite" is going in that direction).
> > But beside that, often developers develop features which are useful
> > for them :)
> >
> > You should also take into account that the piano roll editor is not
> > meant as a replacement for a full midi sequencer, it is more like a
> > extension to the existing sequencer.
> >
> >> I played yesterday with non-sequencer and hydrogen. I really don't need
> >> another midi sequencer, also not for live cause non-seq is good capable
> >> of doing that... What I do need is an drummachine with a quality as good
> >> as possible. Why not concentrate on that (not easy) task? More functions
> >> makes also the GUI more complex imo and simplicity in use was one of the
> >> powers of Hydrogen.
> >>
> >>    Why not stick with the one-task-one-tool principle?  It's not by
> >> accident that the openoctave team has stripped Rosegarden... I think
> >> with the progress of Ladish there is a great potential for this
> >> principle again.
> >>
> > The one-task-one-tool principle was *never* really used by hydrogen,
> > so we can't stick with it :)
> > Hydrogen has always been a tool which included things like a
> > sequencers and combined them and was not only one thing.
> > A lot of people like it this way, not at least because on other
> > platforms ( hydrogen is used a lot on windows and osx )  people are
> > not used to the modular way linux offers.
> >
> > But after all, we discuss a lot about which feature we really need and
> > what not, so every comment is really welcome!
> > Thanks,
> > Sebastian
> >

> Hi,
>
> I jumped to the mailinglist when I was playing with non-sequencer and
> hydrogen and thought, why another sequencer, I need an drummachine! It
> looks to me that you're looking critical which feature to add and which
> not. I'm happy with that and I'm hoping Hydrogen will be my drummachine
> of choice for some time. Good luck with the project.
>
> \r

I'm not a 'heavy' hydrogen user - hmmm that has possibilities :)
but for what it's worth, here are my thoughts.

When trying to develop a new idea I'll often use hydrogen's
pattern/sequencer thingy to see how it sounds, and for the convenience
of being able to just drop hits in, or pull them out while the pattern
is playing.

Once I have something I like, I'll then transfer it to a Rosegarden
track, and use hydrogen as a slave. This gives me much greater control
and a single integrated interface for MIDI, samples, synths etc.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk