[LAU] yoshimi creeps... 0.051

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Sat Jan 16 17:08:07 EST 2010

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 14:54:50 +0100
rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:

> Folderol wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 13:34:45 +0100
> > rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> What is less prone? Having regular xruns but less then it was before? Do
> >> you get xruns? More when using certain instruments? Or playing chords?
> >>

> > With yoshimi I get no xruns at all while playing 3-4 note chords with
> > the left hand plus a melody line with the right hand. This is true even
> > with my most complex patches. With the most recent versions, I only see
> > xruns while changing instrument patch at the same time as actually
> > playing notes (which is a pretty daft thing to do).
> >

> >> Especially when I switch instruments and play chords, is quite simple
> >> sometimes to reach to 1000 xruns in a few minuts... I think for an
> >> instrument you should have almost none xruns in an hour and strive to
> >> get none...

> >> Debian testing, Jack2, RT kernel :
> >> Linux debian 2.6.31.6-rt19-1-686 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Nov 12 13:22:20
> >> UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
> >>

> > This is far more recent that what I'm working with (2.6.29) - I know
> > there have been problems with some rt kernels but I don't know which
> > ones. Also I tend to work with targeted music distros, such as 64studio,
> > where some extra optimisations are done.
> >

> >> @audio - rtprio 99
> >> @audio - memlock unlimited
> >>

> > This looks normal, but I don't see a 'nice' setting. Mine is -10
> >

> >> I'm using an maudio keystation usb midi keyboard
> >>

> > I don't know this particular keyboard but I have heard that some USB
> > ones have problems. I think this actually a mobo problem where there
> > are shared interrupts, but I'm far from certain about that.
> >

> >> I think I have a pretty proper configured system... No problems with
> >> other apps.
> >>

> > Are the other apps synths or sample players? and do you drive them
> > directly from the keyboard?
> >
> > P.S.
> > Just done some test and I can create xruns if I use my most processor
> > intensive patches 'hyper matrix' and 'master synth low', but to do
> > this I have to play quite fast fully chorded, which is really not what
> > these patches are intended for. Both of these are four instrument voice
> > 'kits' with long release times and significant extra effects.
> >
> > Are you running similar heavy-duty voices?
> >

> Mhh it sounds like your yoshimi with your setup is performing much
> better then mine.
>
> Maybe it's the hardware? I've just an simple P4 (2.25) , 1gb ram, maudio
> audiophile card.

That might be part of it. I run a dual core 64bit machine and have 4G
memory. I also use it ONLY for music. Internet and office stuff are
all done on a cheap general purpose machine.

> What Jack settings do you use?

Mostly the default settings. For just Rosegarden and Zyn. I set 64
frames / period which gives a latency of 2.9mS, if I've got a lot of
other stuff running as well, or if I'm using the most complex patches I
go up to 128 frames / period, which is 5.8mS.

On very rare occasions I have to go up to 11.6mS - this is what I had
to have most of the time with Zyn 2.2.1, although then it was zombies
that were the main problem rather than xruns :(

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk