[LAU] MIDI & real instruments combined in Ardour

David Adler david.jo.adler at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 13:24:18 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Ectropic Harmony wrote:
[...]
> I've googled this and I came across a couple pages mentioning that
> while Ardour supports MIDI now that it is still in early development.
> It seems like a possible solution, or temporary work-around, might be
> to create the MIDI parts in another program and to feed that MIDI
> music data into Ardour. Is that the right idea?

Yes. (assuming you mean actual digital audio
by 'MIDI music data', not MIDI events.)
Until the release of Ardour3 it is probably safest
to use a separate application for MIDI.

> How might that be done?

A Jack-transport aware sequencer app together
with Ardour will do it. Make sure to enable
Jack-transport in both to keep them in sync.

Route the sequencers MIDI out to a synthesizer/
sampler/PianoTeq, record in Adrour.

Daves article about Jack-sync shows examples
of similar setups:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1004080

best,