[LAU] MIDI & real instruments combined in Ardour

Ectropic Harmony ectropic.harmony at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 00:38:54 EST 2010

>> I've googled this and I came across a couple pages mentioning that
>> while Ardour supports MIDI now that it is still in early development.
>> It seems like a possible solution, or temporary work-around, might be
>> to create the MIDI parts in another program and to feed that MIDI
>> music data into Ardour. Is that the right idea?
>
> Yes. (assuming you mean actual digital audio
> by 'MIDI music data', not MIDI events.)
> Until the release of Ardour3 it is probably safest
> to use a separate application for MIDI.

So basically, I use something like Rosegarden (or a better option?)
for my MIDI instruments, and send the audio that it creates into
Ardour?

Regarding Ardour 3... is it going to fully support MIDI?

>> How might that be done?
>
> A Jack-transport aware sequencer app together
> with Ardour will do it. Make sure to enable
> Jack-transport in both to keep them in sync.
>
> Route the sequencers MIDI out to a synthesizer/
> sampler/PianoTeq, record in Adrour.
>
> Daves article about Jack-sync shows examples
> of similar setups:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1004080

What would be a good "jack-transport aware sequencer app" to use with
the MIDI drumset (which has sound module) and the MIDI
keyboard/controller (which I think depends on software for the variety
of sounds)?

...I mean something other than PianoTeq. (No offense to anyone
advertising that but I cannot spend that $$$ right now.) :-\

Regarding the USB/MIDI keyboard/controller - "hexter" was mentioned
earlier for the synth-sounds & "qsampler" (with "linuxsampler") was
mentioned for piano sounds.

Regarding the MIDI drumset - "seq24" was mentioned.

If those apps support the "jack-transport"-enabled idea, that'll be a
good starting point.