[LAU] oh yoshimi, one more time

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Fri Jan 29 14:33:30 EST 2010

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:24:51 -1000
david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

> Folderol wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 18:16:03 +0100
> > Emanuel Rumpf <xbran at web.de> wrote:
> >
> >> I don't know if this is known:
> >> Yoshimi 054 pre2 and pre4 both disconnect from jack, when pressing
> >> many keys (~10) at the same time on my midi keyboard.
> >> This does not happen with yoshimi 038
> >>
> > Cant repeat that here. Are you using jack-midi or alsa-midi? I'm using
> > alsa-midi.
> > I can stick both arms down flat across the keyboard without it
> > disconnecting - get rather a lot of xruns though!
>
> Hmmm, I've noticed that if I have a lot of notes going (play fast scales
> with sustain pedal down), adding new notes will cut off existing ones.

That's normal behaviour and dependent on the number of notes of
polyphony set at compile time ( haven't a clue what the default is) and
the release time of the notes.

> Last night I was playing something into Rosegarden, and noticed that
> sometimes a run of notes simply wouldn't happen - appear in Rosegarden
> or play through Yoshimi.

If they don't even appear in Rosegarden then I wonder if you've got
MIDI set up correctly. Is it a USB keyboard? I believe they are
inclined to have latency problems and you might just be overfilling the
'pipe' :o

> I didn't get any xruns, and didn't see any messages from JACK about any
> problems.
>
> Using JACKDMP using alsa-midi (E-Mu XMidiPort 1x1 over USB 2 port and an
> external USB sound card hooked to a different USB port). Yoshimi 0.053.2.

Looks even more like a straight MIDI problem.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk