[LAU] Portable Digital Recorders

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Sun Jan 31 16:17:05 EST 2010

Hi there,

I'm interested in getting a portable digital recorder, something
that can run on batteries or ac power (presumably through a
wall-wart?), that has built-in stereo mics, and something which
will take 2-4 line external inputs.  I've seen a lot of such
things come on the market in recent years.  Many have SD or SDHC
cards for their audio memory, which is fine with me as I have
an SDHC card reader in my computer.  If I get one with a USB
interface it's my _requirement_ that it operate with Linux over
USB.  The same would go for firewire, though I haven't seen any
of those.  Some units record only in lossy compressed format
only, while others have uncompressed formats available.  I would
prefer the uncompressed format to be available.  I'd also need
at _least_ 4 hours of stereo 44.1kHz at at least 16-bit, with
something like 24-bit being more desired by me.

I'll be doing remote recordings, then bringing the audio home to
chop up with Audacity and/or Ardour, then authoring the result to
CDs.

So, what works well with Linux and works well in general?

Thanks people!

--
Kevin