[LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Thu Jul 1 14:54:15 UTC 2010

On Thursday 01 July 2010 09:06:20 Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> On 07/01/2010 10:57 PM, drew Roberts wrote:

> >> this clearly works for artists with a reputation among sufficient
> >> patrons that makes this possible. its not a general model for artists
> >> with no reputation.
> >
> > So perhaps they need to use this as a loss leader until they develop a
> > sufficient reputation.

> >> i don't think that anyone in this thread has suggested this. i think
> >> most people on this list probably agree that many of the ways that
> >> large corporations have succeeded in getting copyright law changed
> >> have created an "unreasonable" situation with respect to copyright.
> >
> > The problem is not just are we suggesting this. It is being done. Under
> > our noses. Are we fighting against it?
>
> If the majority ignore the rules then the rules cease to be relevant.

Except to the people whose lives are ruined when they are caught in the net or
the crossfire.

snip

> > I am convinced that people will pay for art to be produced and to "hang
> > out" with artists in one form or another.
>
> Traditionally the payment has been with food, drink, shelter, sex and
> drugs. ;-)
>
> Money doesn't usually change hands in the music world. Only the minority
> of artists actually see any serious cash.

Perhaps musicians need to learn a few new tricks.

Do a search and check the prices for autographed sports balls.

And those can only give enjoyment by putting them on a shelf and looking at
them and talking about them with your friends when they come over.

Well you could play the games with them but somehow I doubt that is the use
they are put to.

all the best,

drew