[LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Fri Jul 2 08:52:00 UTC 2010

david wrote:
> drew Roberts wrote:

>>> Drew,
>>> Thanks for your reaction but I disagree with the author of the reference
>>> you gave me.
>>
>> I don't know enough about jazz to agree with you or the author, it is
>> just something I cam across the other day andthen when you posted, I
>> went back and searched for it to let you see it.
>
> And here I thought jazz was dying because most of it is boring and
> ingrown, and the vast majority of players have become indistinguishable
> from each other? ;-)
>
> Note the winking smiley. I like traditional New Orleans jazz. I like
> some jazz performers, but think that most could be replaced with no one
> noticing.

David!
Don't tempt me. Either you have never heard a good jazz performance or
you simply don't like it (that's possible). But boring!! You know what
is boring or, better monotonous and repetitive, the endless lookalike
pulp which is called pop-music that's presented as the main music and
nothing else exist thanks to the big companies and their slaves (i.e.
the radio and television companies).
Moreover, boring is a quality in the mind of the person and has nothing
to do with the music (or literature, or dance to give other fields).

I have heard a lot of nonsense about jazz but not that performers could
be exchanges without notice. Yes, pop-singers OK, but that is a
completely  different league.
The beauty of jazz is that you can play the same tunes every night but
each time it is completely different and playing the same tune with
different personnel makes a great difference. Last Friday and Saturday I
played with my Big band but we had some difference in personnel.
Although we played the same tunes the sound was completely different.

The only problem with jazz is that it is no easy music (just as
classical music, especially from the 20th century). You have to be
prepared to follow the sometimes very convoluted harmonic and melodic
ways that are played (listen e.g. to John Coltrane and the great
difference with Coleman Hawkins, or Errol Garner and Art Tatum). I could
go on but I stop. I hope I made your error in judgement clear.
Joep