[LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 19:33:05 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 7:27 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>wrote:

> (*) I was frankly amazed at the number of performances of music I
> consider basically dead that I would see advertised every week in the
> U- and S-Bahn stations in Berlin. The idea that there were still
> audiences for the sort of music that consumed the body and most of the
> soul of "classical" music in the middle half of the 20th century was
> just astounding to me, coming from a US-centric viewpoint. Berlin is
> bigger than Philadelphia, and is buzzing with an incredibly vibrant
> art scene, but still - I doubt if you could find more than 1 or maybe
> 2 performances per week of contemporary "classical/art/serious" (pick
> your favorite un-label) composition here in Phila. Some weeks,
> probably none at all. And almost never will any of them happen in
> Phila.'s big concert halls. I wonder how many of the young art crowd
> now filling apartments all over Berlin are really into that stuff
> anyway?

Here in Russia, Moscow, there are lots of classical music performances. They
are in medium
size halls usually but they are full. I can say that a lot of people in the
audience seem
to enjoy it. I don't know if younger people in modern Russia are a lot "into
classical"
music, for example, but I do see sincere interest to it.

--
Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/