[LAU] recording videos for youtube with a webcam under linux, success!

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Jul 5 07:43:06 UTC 2010

On 07/05/2010 08:16 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> On 07/05/2010 09:53 AM, Loki Davison wrote:
>> Hey All,
>> Thanks for the help with recording, they are on youtube!
>> http://www.youtube.com/user/MrLokiMissSeraphim
>>
>> I've finally got VLC to work recording the videos, audio with straight
>> alsa, then mencoder to convert. I need to start recording them in the
>> correct aspect ratio for youtube though!
>>
>> Next challenge, multi-track audio with ardour synced to multitrack
>> video and mix between the different videos of each instrument. Any
>> hints on an NLE?

If you don't need fancy video editing (zoom automation or sth.):
openmovieeditor.org - it's fairly easy to get started with and it can be
synced to JACK transport.

The alternatives are Blender (syncs with JACK) and Cinelerra or PiTiVi
or.. (kino, avidemux, lives..)

For the final mastering step (mux Audio/Video and export different
formats) use ffmpeg or mencoder.

ffmpeg -i input-video.avi \
       -i input-audio.wav \
 -vcodec libx264 -vpre hq -acodec aac -ab 192k -b 800k output.mp4
or
... -vcodec mpeg4 -acodec mp2 -ab 128k -b1000k output.avi

if your input-video.avi already has an audio-track that you want to
replace use '-map 0:0 -map 1:0'. Of course there are much more options.
man ffmpeg is your friend.

> Blender for multi track video and if you want audio too but I would
> suggest using blender only for the video and one of the many audio daws
> ardour, qtractor, muse, rosegarden, audacity for the multi track audio
> part. With blender 2.49 you can sync with a jack script but latest
> blender svn has native jack support.
>
> There is also lumiera, cinelerra, avidemux, and several other multitrack
> video editors.

lumiera is still in the early stages of development not yet usable.

> Also Robin Gareus has just released a patch for ardour3 that provides a
> native video timeline using xjadeo which needs testing if you are keen.

It's been announced on the ardour-dev list. It'd be great to get some
feedback; but note that ardour3 is still under heavy development.

svn co http://subversion.ardour.org/svn/ardour2/branches/3.0 ardour3
cd ardour3
curl
"http://rg42.org/gitweb/?p=ardour3.git;a=commitdiff_plain;hp=master;h=videotl"
| patch -p1
less tools/videotimeline/README
./waf configure --videotimeline [other options]
./waf
./gtk2_ardour/ardev

Robin Gareus                           mail: robin at gareus.org
site: http://gareus.org/               chat: xmpp:rgareus at ik.nu
blog: http://rg42.org/                 lab : http://citu.fr/

Public Key at http://pgp.mit.edu/
Fingerprint : 7107 840B 4DC9 C948 076D 6359 7955 24F1 4F95 2B42