[LAU] OT: mineral wars in Congo

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Jul 7 08:28:34 UTC 2010

Excerpts from andy baxter's message of 2010-07-07 10:08:09 +0200:
> On 07/07/10 08:55, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> > The only problem with old gear is power consumption. I don't know what's
> > worse from a purely ecological point of view. Most power is still
> > generated from non-renewable sources.
> >

> I think it's pretty hard to say - any comparison of this sort ends up
> comparing two or more quite different problems (e.g. global warming from
> fossil fuel use versus local water pollution from copper mining). People
> try to put numbers on this sort of thing, but the methods they use are
> often pretty suspect.
>
> andy

I didn't even think that far, both minerals and non-renewable energy
sources are exhaustive, so my question more or less was: what's
exhausted first?
Eventually both will need to be 'renewable'.
Which reminds me of a little strange idea I had:
Get the people to strive for renewability instead of profits.
Competition for something worthwhile that benefits everyone, doesn't it
sound nice? :)
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan