[LAU] OT: mineral wars in Congo

Stephen Stubbs theother1510 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 7 12:45:26 UTC 2010

> We don't have Vista-bloat, so if we're environmentally-conscious (or just poor,
>or both), we can keep old gear afloat nearly forever and put it to some useful
>purpose, or dig up old hardware and run a Linux kernel on it and make it do
>something, instead of buying new crap that requires raping the earth and/or
>indigenous peoples.

> -ken

The only problem with old gear is power consumption. I don't know what's
worse from a purely ecological point of view. Most power is still
generated from non-renewable sources.
--
Regards,
Philipp

The high-tech solution to the elements/minerals problem is nuclear fusion.  With
the exception of hydrogen, it's where all the other elements/minerals came from
in the first place.

Best,
Stephen.