[LAU] jack2 set to realtime / soft mode, normal kernel ?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Jul 11 03:41:37 UTC 2010

Harry Van Haaren wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 12:18 AM, david wrote:
>
>     Of course, you don't have old hardware to deal with.
>
> Your right, I've a 2 year old laptop, with PAE. (I think the Celeron
> were the last chip to not have PAE..)

Could be. They're the last Intel chips I have here. (Well, my wife's
laptop has a Core2Duo in it, but she doesn't do music stuff with it.

> Thanks for bringing ArtistX to my attention, I'd only tried 0.7 a couple
> of years back, and it was already
> outdated then! But there's a new release, (0.8 :-0 ) which is based on
> Ubuntu 10 (unlucky there...).

Yah, I'm downloading it now, will see if perhaps this "R2" (second
release version, I guess) has fixed it.

> It seems pretty promising, Ill download it over the next days, and
> hopefully its all good!
>
> KXStudio is another intresting (Buntu based) distro... Its shipping with
> LADISH, JACK2, ArdourVST, QTracktorVST etc

I downloaded KXStudio. It's based on KUbuntu 10. It hangs on my laptops
with a black screen.

KDE4 is a major resource hog, not something I'd recommend for an
audio-focussed system.

> Really up to date, there's a PPA for Ardour3, Mixxx 1.8, etc
> KX does focus on "visual appeal" as well as functionality. Ie: Its
> probably not *the* fastest system to boot / login.

Or do things with. The more "visual appeal" there is, the more the
system has to be doing intense things with your video. That can be a big
problem if video and audio are sharing interrupts!

> But it sure looks a lot more slick than my bare bones LXDE ;-)

What a waste of resources. I like LXDE and even Fluxbox instead for
audio systems. I'd rather have my processor making sounds than doing
some silly menu fading effect. ;-)

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com