[LAU] Yet another audio interface post

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Jul 16 07:50:38 UTC 2010

Louigi Verona wrote:
> My laptop has mono mic in and that's all. It is seen as stereo by Linux,
> but in reality only one channel is transmitting, so it is effectively
> mono. I need a stereo input since I have lots of external devices I
> would want to record from. So I really need a soundcard that can receive
> stereo input. And I am amazed that so much pro soundcards do not offer
> that. I thought it is a very necessary feature.

I think I already explained how pro audio takes two mono inputs, one
each from left channel and right channel, then you use the software to
gang those two inputs into a single stereo channel.

My UCA-202 has RCA left and right ins, through which it happily receives
  stereo input. Just plug your stereo-producing external devices in
using their ordinary RCA out connections.

Sorry, I've explained as much as I can. You need a soundcard that can
receive a stereo input? Get yourself a basic USB soundcard like the
Behringer UCA-202, use RCA cables to hook your stereo gear to the
left/right inputs, and you have stereo input. See the first paragraph
about turning those two inputs into a single stereo track.

I'm done, explained as much as I know, maybe someone else on the list
can explain it better.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com