[LAU] Wired... wires confused!

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Sun Jul 18 10:32:42 UTC 2010

Am 15.07.2010 13:24, schrieb Louigi Verona:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 1:49 PM, James Stone<jamesmstone at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I don't know Reason at all, but as far as I was aware, it was just a
>> sequencer with a synth and drums included in a monolithic piece of
>> software. With the exception of a lightweight sampler plugin, qtractor
>> can do all that using dssi or lv2 plugins and piano roll, with the
>> extra advantage of being able to record audio. As far as I am aware,
>> Lmms, Neil, Renoise and energyXT2 all have the same or better
>> functionality as Reason. The only difference I can see is the GFX and
>> the method of entering notes. Or am I missing something?
>>

> Well, you should go ahead and read up about Reason in wikipedia. Wired is
> basically
> a Reason clone. It is different to Qtractor. Qtractor is a more general
> purpose sequencer,
> I would say. However, built-in synth would allow you to do some things which
> Qtractor
> currently can't, like render all song to a file.
>
> Also, I do not know of any LV2 synth that is a good drum machine. Someone
> here said that the
> GUI is disfunctional. But this is not true. You can by a single click assign
> a different volume to a
> drum machine note and in fact this drum machine is very nice.
>
> If there were many high quality working LV2 synths, Wired would, perhaps, be
> a matter of taste.
> But there is no such thing today - the number of LV2 synths is small and
> those that are there barely
> work.

Only true for Qtractor, because older LV2-GUI are strongly bonded to GTK
wich makes it complicated for a QT-app to implement. This problem is
about to cease. In the meantime: most LV2-synths come with DSSI-Versions
distributed parallel that work perfectly well in Qtractor.

Regarding Wired: sorry to say that, but Wired never was more than some
nice screenshots from the dev's computers and a long list of promises.

Its audio system was built on portaudio and it never worked. So even the
versions that I managed to get to start where more or less unusable.

LMMS comes with a very similar concept, delivers more features than
Wired promises. It looks nice, has an intelligent drag-drop-concept,
built-in synths (no drummachine though) and the best:it actually works.