[LAU] The rest of midi tracks follow the leading track

Harry Van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 13:19:56 UTC 2010

Hi!

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Joan Quintana <joan_quintana at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I want to implement an idea. In stead of playing along with my wind midi
> controller the leading track with the rest of midi tracks (being slave of
> the midi tempo), I would to program another way to play a midi file:
>
> playing the lead track generate all the events of the rest of the tracks.
> In this case the concept of the tempo changes, and need to be calculated
> continuously to trigger the events. With this idea I will be free to play
> the melody, and feel how the orchestra (the other tracks) follow me, and not
> me following the orchestra (play along).
>
> Is this a crazy idea? Could be feasible to program? Exist already something
> similar?

Yep something similar exists. Check out the following 2 links:
Send MTC from JACK transport:
http://www.teuton.org/~gabriel/jack_midi_clock/
Live JACK transport "adjustment": http://www.teuton.org/~gabriel/InConcert/

I'm not the author of either project, and have not tried either project. I
belive they are currently under development, but I'd reccomend at least
checking out the sources, and chatting to the -dev.

Cheers, -Harry