[LAU] sample preview program?

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Mon Jul 26 23:07:20 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Josh Lawrence's message of 2010-07-26 23:58:14 +0200:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Does anyone know of a simple application for previewing samples?
> Something that lists all supported audio files in a given directory,
> that you can click once and hear the sample?  jack support would be
> necessary.  I've searched the archives and found this question asked
> before, but I wasn't able to find an answer.  Any pointers or
> suggestions would be very welcome.
>
> Thank you!

For sample formats I have no idea, for normal audio samples mplayer is
likely a good choice. I recently switched to ROX filer, and there you
can specify a commandline and associate it with a filetype or group of
filetypes (based on MIME). With that you could go fancier than 'mplayer
file', maybe even find a way to stop the previously played file?

Samplecat is a dedicated sample organization/playback tool, but I never
actually used it.
--
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu
und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan